Liberty Department Store
Location: Regent Street Conservation Area, City of Westminster
Client: Liberty PLC
Date: 2005 – ongoing
SLHA Role: Architects & Heritage Consultant
The department store was built 1922-1924 by Edwin T. Hall and E. Stanley Hall, with bridge connecting to Regent Street store added in 1925, further bridge added 1974 by William Holford and Partners and other minor late C20 alterations. Tudor Arts and Crafts style, reusing timber from the breaking up of two early C19 "men of war" sailing ships, HMS Hindustan and HMS Impregnable.
Scope of Professional Services:
Heritage Architecture Ltd was commissioned to do the following:
Stephen Levrant Heritage Architecture Ltd. was commissioned in 2005 to prepare a new conservation plan for the Tudor Building. The Conservation Plan was formulated concurrently with the sketch design proposals for reconditioning and future development of the store and involved consultation and liaison with other members of the design team. The Plan is intended for continuing use of the design team, the management and in consultation with statutory authorities.
Repair and Restoration Works:
Heritage Architecture Ltd. is currently involved as both heritage consultants and conservation architects, undertaking a condition survey and schedule of works of the external elevations and fire doors within the Grade II* Tudor Building, and ongoing external repair works.